Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement

In child custody proceedings or divorces involving children, it is critical that both parents act in the best interests of their children. It is also important that parental rights are protected. If you do not live in the same jurisdiction as the other parent, it can be difficult to obtain these outcomes. To resolve jurisdictional custody issues, it is important to seek the counsel of an experienced family law attorney.

At The Baker Law Firm, LLC in Phoenix, we are skilled at dealing with jurisdictional issues and are committed to providing compassionate legal services for parents dealing with child custody issues. For more information regarding your rights or to schedule an initial consultation with a lawyer from our firm, call us at 602-842-0359.

Determining Proper Jurisdiction

To bring a case, it must be brought in the correct jurisdiction, according to the terms of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA). To have jurisdiction, a child must be in the particular state for at least six months. So if you live in New Mexico and your child has been with their other parent in Arizona for the past three months, you cannot file your parenting time complaint in Arizona.

Contact a Lawyer

To learn more about your rights or for help determining what state has jurisdiction over your case, contact us. We will zealously advocate for your rights.