Relocation of Minors

If one parent wants to move away, what custody and visitation issues must be addressed, and what right does the other parent have to contest the move? At The Baker Law Firm, LLC, we work closely with mothers and fathers – custodial and non-custodial parents – located throughout Arizona and the Phoenix area as they deal with issues related to the relocation of minor children.

Knowledgeable Relocation and Custody Modification Lawyer

In Arizona, the relocation of minor laws make these issues clear. If a parent, either the custodial or non-custodial parent, plans to move more than 100 miles away within the state of Arizona or move out of state, he or she must inform the other parent of the intent to relocate at least 60 days in advance. The non-moving parent can then petition the court to prevent the relocation of the minor child or children.

The court may allow a parent to move away despite custody arrangements if:

  • The move out of state would not be detrimental to the child/children
  • The move is not intended to prevent the child from seeing the other parent
  • Moving allows parent to pursue a new job that would benefit the family
  • A new custody, visitation and parenting time arrangement can be reached, when necessary

Mr. Baker represents parents who wish to move away with their minor children, as well as parents who wish to petition the court in opposition to such a move. In granting or denying the relocation of a minor, the court will always evaluate what is in the best interests of the child. Mr. Baker will protect your and your children’s best interests by presenting the compelling arguments for or against relocation.

In these move-away cases, Mr. Baker can also help you secure necessary modifications to child custody and visitation, parenting time, and child support arrangements.

Contact an Experienced Phoenix Child Relocation Attorney

For more information about the law as it relates to the relocation of a minor, or to talk with an experienced family lawyer about moving your child out of state or preventing a move, please call us at 602-842-0359 or fill out our intake form on our Contact Us. With The Baker Law Firm, LLC, you come first!