Common Questions About International Extradition

Under the guidelines concerning international extradition, if you are suspected of committing a crime in another country, the U.S. government can place you in custody and then turn you over to the other country’s government and vice versa. This can occur whether you are a U.S. citizen or you are a foreign national residing here. As such, here is a list of common questions you may have concerning international extradition.

Who Is Eligible For International Extradition?

To be eligible for international extradition, you must first be formerly charged with, or convicted of a crime in the country making the request. According to a report prepared for Congress by the Congressional Research Service, a treaty must also be in place between the U.S. and the nation who is requesting the extradition.

What Offenses Are Considered Extraditable?

A lawyer will tell you that the list of extraditable offenses varies, depending on the terms of the treaty that exists between the U.S. and the other country. Offenses can include:

  • Murder or attempted murder
  • Kidnapping
  • Rape
  • Burglary
  • Drug trafficking
  • Terroristic acts

Military or political offenses are often excluded, as are crimes subject to a statute of limitations or that are only considered a crime under one country’s laws.

What Is A Provisional Arrest?

A provisional arrest may be requested if you are deemed a flight risk. In such cases, a warrant will be issued in the country you are residing in, and you will be arrested and held in custody until extradition support documentation (such as affidavits, arrest warrants/indictments, orders of judgment and conviction, etc.) is submitted.

Learn More About What You Can Do To Protect Your Rights

International extradition is a serious matter, and as such, it is important to seek legal representation. From their office in Phoenix, Arizona, the attorneys at The Baker Law Firm, LLC, can help you navigate the extradition process and put together a strategy that focuses on finding you a positive outcome.

Visit their online email form where you can provide a short description of your matter or to set up a consultation, you may contact them at 602-842-0359.